[RASMB] SOMO: a new program for constructing hydrodynamic bead models

Olwyn Byron o.byron at bio.gla.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 05:37:00 PDT 2005

Hi Everyone,

We'd like to draw your attention to the release
of a new program for constructing hydrodynamic
bead models. SOMO generates models from atomic
coordinates (of proteins and carbohydrates) and
retains the local characteristics of the
macromolecule (i.e. beads correspond with amino
acids etc). It also "intelligently" hydrates the
model. Hydrodynamic parameters for SOMO models
can then be computed either with José García de
la Torre's group's program (HYDRO) or with Mattia
Rocco's group's program (SUPC).

The program is described in the recent volume of Structure:

http://www.structure.org/

On a note of shameless self-publicity we'd like
to advise you that our paper features on the
cover of the journal.  We mention this because we
feel it raises the profile of hydrodynamics in
general and bead modelling in particular and that
it may be of use to some of you in persuading
funding agencies to support this aspect of your
work.

Finally, we invite you to download the program from

http://malvinas.molgen.gla.ac.uk/~mrc/Public/somo_old/somo_home.htm

and to try it out.

We're very interested to hear from users and
we're happy to advise on the use of SOMO in any
way we can.  In addition we'd like to hear from
you any comments you may have about the future of
hydrodynamic modelling so that we can try to
address them as we continue to develop SOMO.

With best wishes-

Mattia Rocco and Olwyn Byron