[RASMB] ovalbumin, lysozyme

Ariel Lustig ariel.lustig at bluewin.ch
Mon Oct 17 13:19:39 PDT 2005

Dear Yu-Chia Cheng, dear colleauges,
working at 2 molar am.sulfate you can't first at all expect to achieve the same  molecular masses as in
normal  buffers (low  molarity) due to  the  hydration  effect  that causes  to use a different  Vbar as
published or calculated from A.-acids. This has been known  since the 50-60ers of the  last  century.
 S -vel. can't help you either, since  the shape and so the  friction may be  different as in  normal buffer,
but this  fact can  be  learned if  you  make  a control of each  of the  two  samples , I mean  you ran in a separate  cell  the oval. , the lyso.  and the mixture . A big  help could  be also  to do so  with  SE.
Let us  think what  we may  expect : 1) an hetrogene mixed specie from  lys. to  oval. 2) a very nice  homogene specie if the have  bound that gives  an average  value , that is  smaller then  the  oval. 3) an homogene specie if the have  bound , that gives  a value of both together. 4) is similar like  "3" but if occurs an
association multipplied values of " 3" you may  find.
I think that  with  many  programs you  may  analyse  Ln C versus r squ. that should  give  a straight  line
if it is as "2" or "3"  and if it is "1"your line cann't be  straight !!!
We  use  >>Segal <<as many of you also tried  it and found it easy to use. The address is now shorter changed and  shorter: www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/auc
yours   ariel .