[RASMB] Cell Leak

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Thu Aug 25 11:17:01 PDT 2005

Hi all-
We, too, routinely use the Beckman charcoal-filled epon centerpieces at
60k without trouble unless there is a leak that empties only one sector.
If a leak like that happens, the centerpiece will be ruined either
because of a broken or a warped septum. The septum of the Beckman
centerpieces will remain intact and unwarped at 44k, which is why they
are rated for that speed. Peter's suggestion to check for leaks is a
good one.
By using a different epoxy, thicker septum and a contoured bottom, the
SedVel60k centerpieces are rated for use at 60k. The thicker septum
places a premium on timing the lamp flash, which may be the cause of the
problem that Jack is having. They work well with the new fluroescence
and absorbance systems, where timing is taken care of in software, and
we have had no problems using them with the XLI absorbance or
interference systems on our instruments, but that is a small sample
size. I would be very interested in hearing the experiences of others
with them.
Best wishes,
Tom

Allen H Pekar wrote:

> RASMB members:  We had a cell leak today where all the liquid leaked
> from one sector but little leaked from the other sector.  As a result
> of spinning at 60,000rpm, the plastic between the two sectors was
> bent.  When the cell was taken apart, the plastic returned to its
> original shape.  Has anyone had this happen and if so, is it safe to
> use the centerpiece?  We mostly do velocity runs at 60,000rpm.
>  Thanks,  Allen Pekar (Eli Lilly and Company)

University of New Hampshire
Rudman Hall 379
46 College Road
Durham, NH 03824-3544