[RASMB] Am I missing something?

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Mon Jun 6 17:16:01 PDT 2005

Hi Dror,

If it were possible to scan all cells sequentially at a single radial
point, and cover the radial range from 6 to 7.2 cm by stepping through
the cell in this fashion from radial point to radial point, and finally
all the radial scans would be assembled, there would be a considerable
error with the time at which the different radial points within one scan
are measured.  In the current approach to finish scanning each cell
before moving to the next cell, the time-difference between reading the
different radii within one scan is small enough not to cause significant
artificial broadening of the absorbance boundaries.

It may depend what you have in mind in terms of data analysis, but we
have had no problem with the timing of absorbance scans so far.  We've
been doing a lot of sedimentation velocity runs scanning 7 cells, even
at 2 or 3 wavelengths simultaneously.  We use a radial incrmement of
0.003, and no averages, in the continuous mode.  Yes, if you are running
at 50,000 rpm, and have 7 cells and 2 absorbance wavelenghts (+ 1 set if
IF scans in between), you get time intervals of scans of about 15 min.
For one absorbance wavelength it would be about half.  For a 10 mm
column, if your material is about 5 S, at 50,000 rpm, that will give you
about 15 scans per wavelength for a dual-wavelength experiment, or 30-40
for a single absorbance wavelength.  In the data analysis, there's no
problem with that at all.  15 scans covering the sedimentation process
can be sufficient to get a good c(s) or ls-g*(s) distribution, or define
any other model reasonably well.  I would only expect difficulties if
you were using dc/dt, since the time-intervals get too large.

Regards,
Peter