[RASMB] Origin software and vbar

Leech, AP apl3 at york.ac.uk
Wed May 4 14:09:00 PDT 2005

John McGeehan wrote:

> Dear AUC users,
>
> Has anyone encountered this software problem before:
>
> When using the Beckman Origin Self-Association Model changing the
> partial specific volume entered into the fit options does not affect the
> results.  Even when changed by a factor of 100, the calculated
> molecular weight after fitting remains constant to 3 decimal places.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> John.

Hello John,

Yes! Which version of the software, and Windows are you using? It does
not occur with the old (4.1) versions, but does with the 6.?? software.
If I remember correctly, if you change the vbar and density immediately
on loading the software, they are used; once you have done a fit, they are
not subsequently updated. You can tell, as they are displayed on the
results page produced by Origin.
We found other problems too: subtraction does not work at all, and there
were some others that I can't remember offhand.

In general, the Origin software and Windows seem to have found a number
of ways of fighting with each other. W95/W98/Org4 seems to be prone to
random "illegal operation" crashes. W95/Org6 doesn't seem to work properly
as you have found; W2000/Org4 works for me except that network printing
crashes it and the colours are screwy in parameter entry boxes.

I'm sorry not to have a solution - and I'd be pleased to hear if anyone
else does!

Andrew

--
Dr Andrew Leech                   *  Laboratory Manager
Technology Facility               *  Molecular Interactions Laboratory
PO Box 373,  York  YO10 5YW       *  Email : apl3 at york.ac.uk