[RASMB] question about Sedfit

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Wed Jan 26 11:42:00 PST 2005

Satinder,

Sedfit and sedphat are designed to handle this using the algebraic
decomposition of systematic noise. You can calculate the amount of vertical
shifts and the radial-dependent baseline while you're fitting the data, and
then subtract it from the raw data to better inspect the shape of the
boundary and the quality of fit.

You will find information on how this works at the sedfit website in the
tutorial
http://www.analyticalultracentrifugation.com/systematic_noise_analysis.htm

How do actually do this in sedfit is described in detail in the
step-by-step tutorial
http://www.analyticalultracentrifugation.com/tutorial_sizedistributions.htm
(there are screenshots how to do this) and in the menu help section
http://www.analyticalultracentrifugation.com/sedfit_help_subtract_calculated_noise.htm

With regard to the centerpieces, we use the charcoal-filled Epon double
sector centerpieces routinely at 50,000 and 60,000 rpm without having any
problem, despite their rating.  You need to be careful, though, that
there's no leak in the cell, which may cause it to break.  There is a
description how we do this in our lab in the experimental protocol

http://www.nih.gov/od/ors/dbeps/PBR/Applications/Protocols.pdf

in the sedimentation velocity protocol Step II.

Peter