[RASMB] Download SViMULATE why not?

Chad Brautigam Chad.Brautigam at UTSouthwestern.edu
Wed Apr 12 07:29:47 PDT 2023

Greetings, RASMBers,

I'm happy to announce the immediate availability of SViMULATE version 1.1.0, my new sedimentation-velocity simulation program (sorry Apple and LINUX users-- it is only compiled for computers running Windows 10 and higher with 64-bit architectures).  You can download it here: https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/research/core-facilities/mbr/software/ (scroll to the bottom of that page).  The paper describing was recently published in European Biophysics Journal:  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36890221/

But why, you ask, would you want to download and use it?  Here are some nifty features:

  1.  Allows an unlimited number of species.
  2.  Has on-the-fly hydrodynamics calculations, so, for example, if you know M and frictional ratio, it automatically calculates s and D for you (several other such calculations are enabled).
  3.  Offers a seamless interface with HullRad, the most excellent hydrodynamics calculation program by Karen Fleming & Patrick Fleming.
  4.  You don't have to simulate a fixed number of scans or a fixed elapsed time; you can let the program make the endpoint decision for you.
  5.  Allows addition of TI & RI Noise, in addition to stochastic noise from a normal distribution or an exponentially modified Gaussian distribution.
  6.  Allows the input of a c(s) distribution, picking peaks therein to use as species in a subsequent simulation.
  7.  Enables quick, interactive adjustments to be made to the simulation, and saves scan files only when you've adjusted the parameters to your liking.
For now, SViMULATE simulates data only for non-interacting, ideal species, but I'll probably add some non-ideality and simple interaction models in my abundant free time.

If you got your hands on a 1.0.x version, you might want to upgrade, as this most recent version includes a few bugfixes, a full manual, and the correction of at least one very embarrassing typo.

So, take it for a spin!  if you have any suggestions for improvement, just email me.  I hope you have as much fun using it as I had programming it!

Cheers,
Chad

Chad A. Brautigam, Ph.D.
Professor
Director, Macromolecular Biophysics Resource
Departments of Biophysics and Microbiology
UT Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
Rm. ND10.214B