[RASMB] Les Holladay

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Fri Apr 7 17:59:50 PDT 2023

Yes, Les was an important advocate for AUC and a pioneer who will be missed.

I think very few people in the AUC community know that Les was actually the first person to do direct fitting of multiple sedimentation velocity scans to Lamm equation solutions (an approximate analytical solution that Les developed himself, in this case), all the way back in 1980. One reason this isn’t widely known is that he was so far ahead on this that the term “global analysis" had not been invented, and thus when you read his 1980 paper [1] it is easy to miss that he was simultaneously fitting the entire set of scans.

It’s also important to remember that after leaving Beckman he was one of the very first people to bring AUC into the pharmaceutical industry. Lastly I will note that his suite of utility programs could calculate protein dn/dc values at least 2 decades ago.

John

[1] Holladay, L. A. (1980). Simultaneous rapid estimation of sedimentation coefficient and molecular weight. Biophys. Chem. 11, 303-308.