[RASMB] XL-A "waiting for speed" forever

John Gunther jrg at bajabb.com
Wed Feb 12 06:26:26 PST 2020

Hi Alessandro,

It sounds like the ultracentrifuge has hung. When this happens one could
shut down everything. Recycle the power and start over.
When you do this use the stop button on the 'fuge. When the rotor comes
to a rest wait 30 minutes to allow the diffusion pump to cool*.
You do not have to vent the chamber for a short power cycle on the fuge.
Turn off the fuge, (after the 30 minute cooling period), for about 10
seconds.
Then turn it back on. It should not vent the chamber. It will restart
the vacuum pump and continue to pull down the chamber.

Cycle the power on the PC and launch you AUC app. (cold start the PC by
shutting down and turning the power off)

If the fuge won't respond to the stop button one could cycle the fuge
power while it's running at 3k as a last resort. This IS NOT recommended
with a hot diff pump.

The bottom line is the fuge has NVRAM (non-vol-ital ram) on the
instrument control board, and the CRT control board. These "chips" have
a battery on board the chip to hold memory when the power is off. This
battery is a Lithium battery with a life span of 10 years or less
(sometimes more). If your machine is more than 10 years old, and these
chips have not been replace, it is likely your chips are getting bad
(the internal batteries are dying). You can buy these chips from Beckman
Coulter however they are expensive from them. They can be purchased from
electronic part suppliers for around $30 each US.
If you have a qualified electronic person they could replace them. These
chips are in sockets and are intended to be replace.
There is a clock chip on the CRT control board that needs to be replace
for the same reason, a dead battery. This resolves itself as the date on
the fuge appearing as ??/??/??. The time is also incorrect on the fuge.
(not the PC) The clock chip can be more complicated as sometimes it is
not in a socket.

If you are interested in doing this, I can help you. If you don't feel
comfortable doing this, call your Beckman Coulter service rep.

Overspeed disks are expensive and would likely not do anything for this
problem.

John Gunther
Rocky Mtn SIMS, LLC

* allowing the diff pump to cool will reduce the possibility of free
vaporous diff pump oil condensing on the optical components.