[RASMB] varying temperature during an equilibrium run

Kirk C Aune kaune at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 25 13:30:58 PDT 2013

On 10/25/13 10:47, Frank Niesen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anybody has experience with changing the
> temperature in an equilibrium run at given speed, to investigate
> temperature-dependent strength in association? Is it feasible/sane to
> record data at equilibrium at, e.g., 20C, and then to change the
> temperature to, e.g., 40C, and to hope to get data for equilibrium and
> record once more?
>
> In my case, the association seems to weaken substantially with
> temperature and I observe a weaker curvature at the higher
> temperature. For a third step, going back to the original temperature,
> I programmed the run, but made two mistakes with it - firstly to not
> allow sufficient time for the equilibrium and, secondly, to somehow
> got the "stop AUC after last scan" checked :o(
> As result, I am looking at a scan that doesn't resemble the one at
> lower temperature, yet it is similar to scans I saw during the
> equilibration between the two temperatures at step 2.
>
> Has anybody tried something similar? Am I onto something
> believable/real, or shouldn't waste any more precious sample on a
> proper repeat (i.e. separate runs/samples for each temperature)?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Frank

I refer you to Dimerization of Alpha-Chymotrypsin. II.  Ionic Strength
and Temperature Dependence.  Biochemistry 10, no.9, pp 1617-1622
(1971).  Kirk C Aune, Lowell C. Goldsmith and Serge N. Timasheff.

This, of course, was with a Model E  AUC.  In order to get stable
temperature control above 30C with no oil condensation, we employed an
aluminum flashing liner on the chamber wall.

Cheers.

--
Kirk C Aune, Ph.D.
16289 Cambridge Court