[RASMB] s20w calculation

John Sumida jpsumida at u.washington.edu
Thu Aug 8 17:38:32 PDT 2013

Dear RASMB

Wondering about the s020w calculation in SEDNTERP

For one of our polymer micelles with which we've been working, a SEDANAL
analysis returns an s20w value (not corrected for concentration) of 17.3.

If I use equation 19 in cited in the SEDNTERP documentation, from the s20w
value=17.3, I calculate s* = 16.4s.

Phsyical parameters used:

1.     experiment temp=20oC,

2.     vbar=0.8312 (measured by densitometry at 20oC)

3.     density of solution 1.00506 gms/cm3 (measured)

4.     viscosity 0.010281 (measured)

5.     Assuming viscosity of water to be 0.01002, and the density to be
0.998234

However if I use the Experiment page in the SEDNTERP and enter value of s*
calculated above, then s20w returned is 27.8 which is much higher than the
value returned from SEDANAL.  In fact in order to get SEDNTERP to return a
value of 17.3s, I have to decrease S* to be 2.91s.

In SEDFIT, if I input 16.4s, calculated from Equation 19 in the SEDNTERP
documentation, and input the same physical parameter listed above, I get
17.4s in agreement with the SEDANAL result.

I think in both SEDNTERP and SEDFIT, the same equation is used to correct s*
to s20w, so I'm not clear what I'm missing.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome and thank you, in advance, for
taking the time to consider my question.

Best regards,

John Sumida

 <http://depts.washington.edu/cidb4bio/index.shtml> Analytical Biopharmacy
Core Facility