[RASMB] Introducing REDATE

Chad Brautigam Chad.Brautigam at UTSouthwestern.edu
Tue Jul 23 09:15:49 PDT 2013

Dear AUC Users,

I am pleased to introduce my latest foray into Python programming, called REDATE.

What does REDATE do, you ask?  Well, as many of you know, Zhao et al. (Anal. Biochem. 437, 104) discovered that the timestamp in the header of AUC files can be significantly (i.e. up to 10%) incorrect.  Although the manufacturer has released software and firmware updates to correct this problem, the timestamps can still exhibit systematic inaccuracies (see Ghirlando et al., Anal. Biochem. 440, 81).

REDATE is a program that corrects for the timestamp inaccuracies by making sure that the header times (and w^2t's) conform to the OS timestamps, which are very accurate.  It scans an entire folder of AUC data, figures out the correction factors, and displays them.  After that, at your command, it will perform the correction, writing new files and leaving your old ones intact.  It also can perform some simple transformations on the data (e.g. intensity to pseudoabsorbance).  It works on interference, absorbance, and FDS data.  REDATE is compiled to work under the Windows operating system; it was mainly developed under Windows 7, but has also been (less thoroughly) tested under W8 and XP.

Note that SEDFIT does all of the things that REDATE does, but the chief advantage of REDATE is that it acts on whole directories at once.  Even if you think your data don't have any problems, it's nice to scan them with REDATE to make sure.  If you're paranoid.  Like me.

If you're interested in using REDATE, please download it from http://biophysics.swmed.edu/MBR/software.html.  The zip file has a pdf guide describing how to use the program.  If you find any bugs in the program or you have suggestions for improvement, please contact me:  chad.brautigam at UTSouthwestern.edu<mailto:chad.brautigam at UTSouthwestern.edu>.

Peace,
Chad

Chad A. Brautigam, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Biophysics
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX, 75390-8816
Phone:  214-645-6384

UT Southwestern Medical Center