[RASMB] Ca measurement in solution

Balakrishnan KANNAN (IMCB) bala at imcb.a-star.edu.sg
Wed Feb 13 18:22:08 PST 2013

Dear RASMB,

This is not directly related to AUC. I still believe that someone might be able to help.

We vary the amount of Ca in our protein solutions by having a constant amount of EGTA and add excess Ca to arrive at the level of Ca we require for our biochemical assays. To calculate the free Ca in this EGTA-buffered system we use Maxchealater (http://www.stanford.edu/~cpatton/webmaxc/webmaxclite115.htm).

With some extra bit of money made available to us, we are planning to buy a Ca-meter along with a Ca-electrode and a reference electrode. This will enable us to rule out the uncertainty in the Ca-levels arrived at by using the Maxchealater. When I explored I found Nova analytics (no commercial interest) have a Ca-meter and accessories. Unfortunately, I am not getting good pre-sales technical update from the local vendor.

I want to measure Ca-levels as low as 100 to 10 nanoMolar. 1 mM will be the upper end. Could someone help?

Regards,
Bala

Balakrishnan Kannan , Ph.D.,
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology,
BR Lab, Proteos,
61, Biopolis Drive,
Singapore 138 673
e-mail: bala at imcb.a-star.edu.sg<mailto:bala at imcb.a-star.edu.sg>