[RASMB] Timestamp Issue

Rhyner, Matthew N mnrhyner at beckman.com
Thu Feb 21 07:47:50 PST 2013

All-

This email is to notify the RASMB board of Beckman Coulter's response to the recently noted timestamp discrepancy on our XLA and XLI systems.

The symptoms described below will only be seen with XLA and XLI systems that are running the following configuration -
Data acquisition board (DAB) firmware version 5.06
User interface (GUI) version 6.0

The DAB Version 5.06 and GUI 6.0 has been available for field use since the second quarter of 2011 and included in new unit production since the second quarter of 2012.  To check whether or not your system is impacted, please open the Proteome software, and go to Help --> About and check the software version number.  If you have a unit that has been impacted, please call your local Beckman Coulter service representative to open a service request.

The symptoms that have been reported include a mismatch between the time counted by the data acquisition board for each scan or set of scans and the time stamp for each data file on the PC Controller. Inaccurate time measurement by the data acquisition board will affect the time (t) in the w2t calculation and subsequently affect, for example, the final value for a sedimentation coefficient or diffusion coefficient reached during data analysis.  These inaccurate values in turn will affect the proper characterization of the particles under study.

The difference in reported time between the data acquisition board and PC Controller can be as much as 10% at speeds above 40K RPM when compared with results from previous software revisions.  Below 40K the difference is less than 10%.

Beckman Coulter is working to correct the problem, and will have a revised software version available in the near future.  I will be sending another communication with instructions on how to obtain the revised software version once it is released.

As a company, Beckman Coulter apologizes for any inconvenience this issue may have caused, and we assure you we are committed to making quality products and meeting our customers' needs.

Sincerely,
Matt

Matthew N Rhyner, PhD
Strategic Product Manager
Beckman Coulter, Inc

Please be advised that this email may contain confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
by email by replying to the sender and delete this message.  The
sender disclaims that the content of this email constitutes an offer
to enter into, or the acceptance of, any agreement; provided that the
foregoing does not invalidate the binding effect of any digital or
other electronic reproduction of a manual signature that is included
in any attachment.