[RASMB] in-house lamp cleaning

Chad Brautigam Chad.Brautigam at UTSouthwestern.edu
Tue Sep 27 10:44:29 PDT 2011

Dear Avi,

Lamp cleaning is a routine procedure that you're more than capable of handling.  In fact, it is so simple, I have heard tales of people cleaning the lamp before every use (that seems extreme to me).  You might want to have a tech show you the first time, but subsequent cleanings should be no problem.

Cheers,
Chad

-----Original Message-----
From: rasmb-bounces at rasmb.bbri.org [mailto:rasmb-bounces at rasmb.bbri.org] On Behalf Of Avi Chakrabartty
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:29 PM
To: RASMB at server1.bbri.org
Subject: [RASMB] in-house lamp cleaning

Dear RASMB subscribers,

The current economic climate has caused us to not renew our maintenance
contract for our XLI ultracentrifuge. Our centrifuge is working okay;
however, the intensity output of UV light has dropped (the visible output
is okay). We think the lamp needs cleaning.

I have replaced and aligned lamps in CD spectrometers, fluorometers, and
UV specs. Should we attempt to clean the lamp on the XLI, rather than call
in the Beckman technician?

Thank you and best regards,

Avi

Avi Chakrabartty, Ph.D., Professor
Departments of Medical Biophysics and Biochemistry,
University of Toronto, Ontario Cancer Institute,
MaRS Centre, 101 College St., Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1L7, CANADA
Phone: 416-581-7553 Lab: 416-581-7555 Fax: 416-581-7555
email: chakrab at uhnres.utoronto.ca