[RASMB] in-house lamp cleaning

Avi Chakrabartty chakrab at uhnres.utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 27 10:29:19 PDT 2011

Dear RASMB subscribers,

The current economic climate has caused us to not renew our maintenance
contract for our XLI ultracentrifuge. Our centrifuge is working okay;
however, the intensity output of UV light has dropped (the visible output
is okay). We think the lamp needs cleaning.

I have replaced and aligned lamps in CD spectrometers, fluorometers, and
UV specs. Should we attempt to clean the lamp on the XLI, rather than call
in the Beckman technician?

Thank you and best regards,

Avi

Avi Chakrabartty, Ph.D., Professor
Departments of Medical Biophysics and Biochemistry,
University of Toronto, Ontario Cancer Institute,
MaRS Centre, 101 College St., Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1L7, CANADA
Phone: 416-581-7553 Lab: 416-581-7555 Fax: 416-581-7555
email: chakrab at uhnres.utoronto.ca