[RASMB] in-house lamp cleaning

Virgil Schirf schirfv at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Sep 27 10:59:12 PDT 2011

Dear Avi,

Cleaning the xenon flash lamp is a relatively simple operation. There is a
user manual at http://www.uslims.uthscsa.edu click on AUC Manual which has
a section on lamp cleaning. We use toothpaste to clean the lamp; others
use pencil erasers. Keep the alignment of the lamp the same as it is
currently in. If you have a window in the monochromator shaft, that may
need to be removed and cleaned as well.

Best of luck,

Virgil

> Dear RASMB subscribers,
>
> The current economic climate has caused us to not renew our maintenance
> contract for our XLI ultracentrifuge. Our centrifuge is working okay;
> however, the intensity output of UV light has dropped (the visible output
> is okay). We think the lamp needs cleaning.
>
> I have replaced and aligned lamps in CD spectrometers, fluorometers, and
> UV specs. Should we attempt to clean the lamp on the XLI, rather than call
> in the Beckman technician?
>
> Thank you and best regards,
>
> Avi

> Avi Chakrabartty, Ph.D., Professor
> Departments of Medical Biophysics and Biochemistry,
> University of Toronto, Ontario Cancer Institute,
> MaRS Centre, 101 College St., Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1L7, CANADA
> Phone: 416-581-7553 Lab: 416-581-7555 Fax: 416-581-7555
> email: chakrab at uhnres.utoronto.ca

Virgil Schirf
Center for Macromolecular Interactions
UTHSCSA
7703 Floyd Curl Dr.
San Antonio TX 78229
(210) 767-3371

Confidentiality Notice: This transmission may contain confidential
information that is legally privileged. The information is intended only
for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately. You are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking
of any action in reliance on the contents other than the written intent of
this transmission is strictly prohibited.