[RASMB] Postdoc position in Structural Biology

Jamil S Saad saad at uab.edu
Tue Mar 2 05:08:09 PST 2010

Dear all,

A postdoc position is currently available in my laboratory of at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).
Our research program is aimed at understanding the precise molecular mechanism of how retroviral proteins interact with cellular factors during the virus replication cycle. We use a set of biochemical, biophysical and structural biology (mainly NMR and occasionally X-ray) tools to characterize key protein-protein and protein-lipid interactions critical for virus infectivity and replication.
Research resources and Instrumentation:
Our lab is equipped with research resources to conduct a wide range of experiments in biochemistry, molecular and structural biology. We also have an unrestricted access to Bruker Avance II 700 MHz instrument equipped with a cryoprobe. Recent funding from the NIH has been obtained to acquire a new 800 MHz NMR, which will be installed by the end of the year.
UAB: Ranked among the top 15 percent of U.S. colleges and universities by The Princeton Review. It attracts over $400 million annually in external research funding and ranks consistently in the top 25 nationally in funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Named among the Top 5 Best Places to Work in Academia by The Scientist in 2008
Among 96 public and private universities (and the only Alabama university) classified as an institution of “very high research activity” by the Carnegie Foundation.
Candidates are expected to have good communication skills and must hold a Ph.D. degree in any of the following: Biochemistry, Chemistry, or Biology. If you are interested, please submit a CV along with the names of 3 references by email to Dr. Jamil Saad (saad at uab.edu<mailto:saad at uab.edu>).

Jamil S. Saad, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Microbiology, BBRB 366/15
University of Alabama at Birmingham