[RASMB] fluorochemicals

Carlos Alfonso Botello uanalitica at cib.csic.es
Mon Mar 1 04:24:43 PST 2010

Many thanks to Christine EBEL, Claus URBANKE and
Arne RUFER for their fast reply.
I include their responses that could helpful to other RASMB members.

Carlos

Dear Carlos,
I use Perfluoro-Compound FC-43 ref 12.377.58 of Janssen Chimica
All the best
Christine

Christine EBEL
Institut de Biologie Structurale CEA-CNRS-UJF
41 rue Jules Horowitz, F-38027 Grenoble France
Tel (33) (0) 4 38 78 95 70; Fax (33) (0) 4 38 78 54 94 christine.ebel at ibs.fr
http://www.ibs.fr/content/ibs_eng/presentation/lab/lbm/ebel.htm

Dear Carlos,

the "Fluorinert" oil used as an artificial bottom
was chemically per-fluorinated tertiary
tributylamine also known as FC43. It is used in
mass spectroscopy and can be obtained from
several sources. I recommend testing it since
there may be UV absorbing impurities leaking into
the water phase.  To be on the safe side you may
incubate it with your buffer before use (maybe at higher temperatures)

Many greetings and best wishes

Claus

Prof. Dr. Claus Urbanke
Am Heuberg 8
29331 Lachendorf

Tel.: 05145 6879
FAX: 05145 284690

Dear Carlos,

you could use Fluorinert FC-40 (Sigma F-9755) or
Fluorinert FC-77 (Fluka 47090).

Best regards,

Arne

Dr. Arne Rufer
F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
PROBMO Optical Spectroscopy
065/207
CH-4070 Basel
Tel: 0041-(0)61-6882126
arne.rufer at roche.com

Dr. Carlos Alfonso
Servicio de Ultracentrifuga Analítica
Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas
C/ Ramiro de Maeztu, 9.
28040-MADRID
Tlfno.- 91 8373112 ext.-4297
Fax: 915360432.
E-mail: uanalitica at cib.csic.es
NEW lab web page:
<http://www.cib.csic.es/es/servicio_ultracentrifugacion_analitica>http://www.cib.csic.es/es/servicio_ultracentrifugacion_analitica
P Antes de imprimir este mensaje piense bien si
es necesario hacerlo. El medioambiente es cosa de todos.
Please consider your environmental resposability before printing this e-mail.