AW: [RASMB] Fluorescence question

Titus M. Franzmann tmfr at umich.edu
Thu Jun 25 05:11:18 PDT 2009

Perben,
what you might be observing is that your protein unfolds. In many cases
Trp-residues are quenched in the folded structure. Upon unfolding the Trp
get solvent exposed and the solvent quenching acting on the unfolded
structure can be less than the static or dynamic quenching in the folded
structure.
To get a first idea about this you can record corrected trp - fluorescence
specta:
Record a buffer / water spectrum: Excite at 295 nm, record emission from 295
- 500 nm at a slit width of 1-5 nm.
Record protein spectrum with the same settings. Typtically 1-5 µM Trp will
give you a good fluorescence signal. Subtract the buffer from the sample. If
the trp residues are is an hydrophobic environment the peak max will be
somewhere between 310-350 nm.
Next denature your protein (same concentration as used above) with 6 M
Guanidinium hydrochloride, incubate for 10 min, or longer. Record a GdmCl
buffer spec, then the denatured sample and subtract the buffer form the
sample. You should see that the peak max has shifted to 355 nm, which is
typical for Trp in aqueous solution.
Use a buffer, such as HEPES, Tri, or NaP to asure that the spectra are
recorded at the same pH.
>From this you will learn, if the trp-residues are quenched in the folded
structure and if your observation with the increase in signal is due to
unfolding/aggregation.

Another thing could be that your protein is in a non-native conformation or
in an oligomeric state that changes when you dilute the sample into the
cuvette. This you may have to investigate in more detail also recording
spectra at the beginning and the end of the reaction. These you may then
compare to the GdmCl and "native" spectra.

Best Titus