[RASMB] Hb tetramer

Mattia Rocco mattia.rocco at istge.it
Fri Feb 6 01:20:58 PST 2009

Hi Mitra,

apologies for chiming in so late in the debate, but I was away. We have
been modeling Hb as a part of an intensive testing effort for a paper that
will be published in the AUC & HYDRO 2008 EBJ special issue Brookes et al.,
Eur. Biophys J., in press). Thus, we did some literature searches, and
indeed the reported s(20,w) for HUMAN deoxy Hb is 4.34 S (Goers JW,
Schumaker VN (1970). Differential sedimentation study on the dissociation
and conformational change in hemoglobin. J Mol Biol 54: 125-129). However,
when we CALCULATED the s(20,w) based on the 1HGA human deoxy Hb crystal
structure, using the SOMO programs (Rai et al., Structure 13: 723-734,
2005; Brookes et al., Eur Biophys J, in press), we get a 4.77 S value!
That's VERY close to your actual value... while the agreement with  the
Goers & Schumaker value was one of the worst in our testing of the SOMO
method...  And, in case you're wondering, we used the Demoll et al. psv for
the heme...

Perhaps it would be interesting to re-compute the value for an homology
model of your Hb based on the human structure? (I assume that the true
structure of your avian Hb isn't available).

Hope this helps - Mattia