[RASMB] more on dithionite and Hb

Jack Kornblatt krnbltt at alcor.concordia.ca
Thu Feb 5 08:03:46 PST 2009

Hello Mitra
Chance, I think, once described dithionite as man's worst enemy. the
concentration that you are using is far in excess of what is need to
keep your solutions anaerobic. The reaction products of dithionite are
too  numerous to list even if I could remember them. If you degas your
solutions just before loading and then add dithionite to 1 mM this
should give you the desired "low" oxygen.
Is it really necessary to keep dithionite as low as possible? I have
little experience with Hb but if we use dithionite and cytochrome c
oxidase at 11 mM there are sufficient biproducts generated that
interpreting data is very difficult

best
jack kornblatt