[RASMB] Hb tetramer

mitrana at mail.utexas.edu mitrana at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 5 12:19:32 PST 2009

Hello All

After re-measuring the viscosity my current deoxy Hb S20,w value
stands at ~4.82 right now. I don't think the inclusion of the v-bar of
IHP is going to change this value much. This is still much higher than
the 4.1 - 4.5 range of Hb tetramer that Allen mentions.

The avian Hb D that I am working with has MW similar to BSA than human
Hb - it's about 66500 Da. versus ~ 64500 for human Hb. Plus I don't
think there is a lot of literature on s-values for avian Hb minor
component - at least I can't seem to find it. The major component has
S20,w values in the 4.1-4.5 range as expected and the Hb lysate shows
similar values.

I think the best step forward for me is to decrease the dithionite
concentration to 1 mM and do the experiment. Make sure that excess
dithionite is not doing anything funky to the Hb.

Thanks for the discussion. BTW, I traced the 11 mM dithionite that I
was using to this reference - Andersen, M. E. (1972) J. Biol. Chem.
246, 4800-4806.

Mitra