[RASMB] k_off rate

Allen Minton minton at helix.nih.gov
Mon Apr 7 07:41:32 PDT 2008

Prof Halford is correct in the general case.  I
should have limited my remarks to kinetics of
association at high ionic strength.  Here is an
extract from Vijayakumar et al (1998) J. Mol. Biol 278: 1015-24:

"Before two proteins associate to form a complex,
they have to find the proper relative orientation
by translational and rotational diffusion. The
orientational constraints will severely limit the
rate of association. For example, for two
proteins A and B modeled as spheres with closest
approach distance R and relative translational
diffusion constant D, “reactive” patches spanned
by polar angles in (0, ðA) and (0, ðB) will
reduce the diffusion-controlled association rate
constant from the Smoluchowski result 4ðDR
[Smoluchowski 1917] by a factor of ðAðB(ðA +
ðB)/8 [Berg 1985 and Zhou 1993]. For ðA = ðB =
3°, the resulting association rate constant is
ca. 10^5 M^-1s^-1 which is roughly the magnitude
of association rate constants observed for a
number of protein complexes at extremely high
ionic strengths [Stone et al 1989, Eltis et al
1991, Schreiber and Fersht 1993, Schreiber and
Fersht 1996, Wallis et al 1995 and Wendt et al
1997]. At low ionic strengths, these protein
complexes are found to be formed three to four
orders of magnitude faster, indicating the effect
of electrostatic interactions between associating proteins."

I apologize for any confusion.

Allen Minton