[RASMB] k_off rate

SE Halford, Biochemistry S.Halford at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Apr 7 07:09:41 PDT 2008

Sorry, but I disagree strongly with Allen Minton's assertion that
protein-protein association rates have "very similar bimolecular
association rate constants (say within a factor of 3 or so).  I seem to
remember something on the order of 10^5 mol^-1 sec^-1".
The protein-protein association rates reported in the literature vary from
10^10 M^-1.s^-1 down to around 10^4 M^-1.s^-1.  The high numbers are almost
all measured in low salt buffers, conditions where electrostatic effects
overwhelm the "Smoluchowski limit" of around 10^8 M^-1.s^-1, and when the
same protein-protein interaction is measured in buffer containing ~250 mM
NaCl, the rate falls to ~10^8 M^-1.s^-1, somewhere close to the
"Smoluchowski limit".
So any assumption about the association rate constant could easily be out
by a factor of 10^4, which in turn gives you a 10^4 error in calculating
the koff from the Kd!
Steve Halford
Professor Stephen E. Halford FRS
Department of Biochemistry,
School Of Medical Sciences,
University of Bristol,
University Walk,
Bristol BS8 1TD, UK.
tel: +44-(0)117-331-2156 - NB, new phone and new FAX number
FAX: +44-(0)117-331-2168
E-mail: s.halford at bristol.ac.uk