[RASMB] k_off rate

Claus Urbanke urbanke.claus at mh-hannover.de
Mon Apr 7 01:51:31 PDT 2008

Dear Nikola.

to make it perfectly clear, thermodynamic affinities and kinetic rate
constants are two different things and you cannot calculate kinetic
constants from affinities (while you may try to calculate an affinity
from known kinetic constants). The affinity may be calculated as the
ratio of on- and off rate constants (Guldberg Wage law) and any
combination of these two can result in a given affinity. You need to
know one of the rate constants to calculate the other.

Thus, don't be bothered by your Kd, but use the Debye Smoluchowsky
theory of diffusion controlled reactions instead. With this you can
estimate the diffusion controlled dissociation rate constant as beeing
roughly the reciprocal of the time it takes for the dissociating
molecule to diffuse across the  diameter of the reaction sphere (which
to me sounds reasonable). This will give you the rate of the two
molecules separating after all interactions have been destroyed and does
most probably not represent the lifetime of the associated state (which
would be the 1/k_off you might want to know)
Anyhow, the equation is

k(21)=4 Pi() R(0) N(L) ?D(A)?D(B)??B

with
R(0) : reaction distance of the two molecules (this distance must be the
distance of their cenetrs of gravity)
D(A),D(B) : diffusion coefficient of the two molecules
N(L) Avogadro number
B : 1000 m^3/L
k(21) : dissociation rate constant
Pi(): 3.14......

but be very careful in interpreting the results.

With heavy "Bauchschmerzen" and best wishes

Claus

Wenta Nikola schrieb:

> Dear Colleagues!
> Does anyone know how to calculate the k_off rate of a given dimer from
> it's kD? As the kD was found from Sedimentation Equilibrium, there are
> no kinetic information within. But there exists a crystal structure of
> that dimer, and with HydroPro, I obrained a diffusion coefficient for
> the dimer as well as for the monomer. Does anyone has any suggestions
> how to calculate my protein's k_off rate?
> I am grateful for any suggestions.
> Niko

> attachment may still contain software viruses, which could damage your
> computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
> permitted by UK legislation.

Prof. Dr. Claus Urbanke
Medizinische Hochschule
Abtlg. Strukturanalyse OE 8830