[RASMB] problem with fitting

Walter Stafford stafford at bbri.org
Mon Mar 3 06:05:58 PST 2008

Hi Marina,

      A couple of points:

First, gel filtration cannot give you a molar mass. It can give you
only a Stokes radius.

Second SEDFIT does not have a monomer-hexamer model that can be used
for direct fitting to a monomer-hexamer model.

If the material is pure and exhibits no concentration dependence you
can use SEDFIT c(s) and C(M) to get the molecular weight.

However if it is reversibly associating/dissociating, you will need
to use other software, like SEDANAL, in which you can specify a model
of your choice.

Of course, you can use SEDANAL also to get the molar mass of non-
interacting species as well without making any assumptions about
frictional ratios.

Walter F. Stafford
Senior Scientist
Boston Biomedical Research Institute