[RASMB] problem with fitting

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Thu Mar 20 11:37:05 PDT 2008

Hi Christopher,

just as a reminder, as you noted, SEDFIT consistently calculates the
distributions in experimental s-values.  There are utility functions to
convert it to s20w on the request of the user (for example the Mw button
appearing over each peak after automatic integration will prompt a report
among other things like mass and shape estimates also the s20w value).

The reason why it does experimental s-values is that in most cases with
c(s) you will be able to resolve more than one species.  Since the
transformation to s20w includes a buoyancy correction term, there would
really need to be more than one vbar value to do the correction (... one
for each peak...) SEDFIT leaves it up to you to identify which c(s) peak
you're interested in and assign the vbar value accordingly.   Otherwise if
you assume a single vbar value for all species in the distribution, some of
the s-values may be off.  That would be a waste since the experimental
s-values are the most precisely determined quantities (after the
concentrations).

Peter