[RASMB] problem with fitting

Tom Laue tml at cisunix.unh.edu
Mon Mar 3 07:41:54 PST 2008

Hi-
A small point- gel filtration does not provide a Stokes radius.
Experiments suggest that gel filtration provides the "projected radius"
corresponding to the radius of the smallest shadow a structure can cast.
This projected radius is obtained, however, in the limit of zero flow
(e.g. using the equilibrium methods developed by Gary Ackers' group).
For a finite flow rate, the apparent radius will be tend to move towards
the projected radius corresponding to the the radius of the largest
shadow a structure can cast. Hence, elongated molecules (at finite flow
rates) will come out at an apparent radius that is too large. Neither
projected radius is related to the Stokes radius.
Best wishes,
Tom