[RASMB] Diagnose the error message

barbara lelj lelj at interchange.ubc.ca
Thu Jun 14 10:57:32 PDT 2007

Mark, I did experiments at low temperature before.  I'm not sure about your
error, but the thing you have to be careful with is that when you go below
100 micron, the temperature that you measure is the one of the rotor and not
the one in the chamber, so it is possible that in order to keep the rotor at
10 C or even to cool it down that low, the temperature in the actual chamber
goes down a lot more than 10C, almost to freezing levels. Similarly, when
you try to heat the rotor to 40C the temperature in the chamber can go up to
60 or 70C. To get around this problem I suggest you cool down your rotor in
a fridge (even at 4C) before you load it into the XLI, that way you'll
stress the system a lot less.

Good luck
Barbara