[RASMB] Diagnose the error message

Virgil Schirf schirfv at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Jun 14 11:17:58 PDT 2007

Hi Mark,

Do you have any vacuum issues as well as temperature issues? We have
seen temperature fluctuations if there a problem with the vacuum system
thus causing both the vacuum pump and thermal electric modules to work
harder. The temperature should remain steady within ±0.5°C on an
instrument that has been allowed to temperature equilibrate (both the
rotor and the samples) and the vacuum to reach ~ 0 microns before
starting. I agree with Barbara that cooling the rotor in a fridge for
lower temperature velocity runs is a good idea and lessens the strain on
the cooling system of the XL/I.

Cheers,

Virgil

Mark Agacan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My XL-I was running overnight at 10 degrees C, at some point in the
> experiment an error was received:
>
> DIAGNOSTIC  12948684800 RECEIVED
>
> The entire roll of print-out paper in the XL-I spewed out with the above
> error message to form a pile roughly the size of the XL-I itself.  I
> checked the troubleshooting section in the manual, an error message
> starting with a 1 implies a 'CPU-Microprocessor malfunction or loss of
> program memory'-type error.
>
> The XL-I worked fine the next day but I was working at 16 degrees C.
> Could temperature be the cause of the above error message.  We have had
> problems with big temperature fluctuations recently, the XL-I motor
> seems to generate a lot of heat, with the result that i have to keep the
> lab door open to keep the experiment at a stable temperature.  For
> example, it took around twice as long (> 5 hours) for the XL-I to fully
> thermally equilibrate at 10 C as it did for 16 C.
>
> Does anyone have any knowledge of the above error, or has anyone had
> serious issues with the temperature stability of an XL-I?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark
>

> _____________________________________
> Dr Mark Agacan
> Scientific Officer,
> Division of Biological Chemistry
> and Drug Discovery,
> Wellcome Trust Biocentre,
> College of Life Sciences,
> Dow St.,
> University of Dundee,
> Dundee, DD1 5EH
> Tel: +44 1382 388751
> Fax: +44 1382 345764

Virgil Schirf
Manager, CAUMA <http://cauma.uthscsa.edu> & CLS <http://cls.uthscsa.edu>
Department of Biochemistry, Rm 4.523U
The University of Texas Health Science Center
7703 Floyd Curl Dr.
San Antonio TX 78229-3900
Voice mail: 210 567-6590
Fax: 210 567-6595