[RASMB] Lamp Intensities on Analytical Ultracentrifuges

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Fri Jun 1 14:35:25 PDT 2007

John,

First, can you quantify what you mean by the noise is "quite bad". What is
the r.m.s. noise for a scan of an empty hole (not an empty cell) in the
rotor now, and what was it in the past?

These intensity readings are never absolute---20,000 counts on one
instrument might be 10,000 on one and 30,000 on another. The only thing that
counts is what is the ratio of the intensity when the lamp is clean versus
now. Even a 2-fold drop of intensity usually has a minimal impact on the
noise level, so the real source of the problem may be something else
altogether (perhaps a dirty slit assembly).

John