[RASMB] Sedimentation equilibrium question

Leech, AP apl3 at york.ac.uk
Thu Mar 29 07:12:55 PDT 2007

Hi Sarah,

I don't think I can add significantly to the helpful advice already
given, but on a slightly different tack I found it is a real
confidence booster if you can find a nice, well behaved, stable
protein and do some equilibrium runs on it, if possible over a wide
range of speeds and concentrations, even different wavelengths. This
will give you a good idea of when you can trust the data the machine
gives you, and what the analysis programs make of it, and when you
should take it with a pinch of salt. It will also give you a better
idea of what the residuals look like in a simple system.

The other thing I would say is that with a complex system it is
sometimes better to go back to sample prep and conditions if these
can make things simpler, and then do a new experiment, rather than
trying to squeeze too much out of a single data set. Sometimes
people who bring proteins have an overly optimistic idea of purity
and homogeneity!

Hope this is useful,

Andrew

PS The great thing about the world of AUC is that even as a beginner
you can post a query to the RASMB and get friendly advice from real
experts in the field!