[RASMB] pH stability

Jacob Lebowitz lebowitz at helix.nih.gov
Thu Jan 25 13:42:49 PST 2007

Dear Yasuaki,

A very long time ago I did alkaline titrations of superhelical DNA
covering the pH range of 10-12, both band sedimentation velocity and
buoyant density sedimentation equilibrium experiments. We used
charcoal filled epon centerpieces and quartz windows. We did not
encounter any problems. Other labs did alkaline titrations of linear
DNA without any problems. In preparing the alkaline solutions we
flowed argon over the solution to prevent CO2 absorption and pH
shifts. It is also important to adjust the pH of the solution at the
temperature of the experiment in a temperature controlled vial or
beaker since there is a significant temperature dependence of the pH.
With these precautions you should get reproducible results in the titration.

Jack Lebowitz