[RASMB] pH stability

Virgil Schirf schirfv at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Jan 25 07:16:02 PST 2007

Dear Yasuaki,

The Beckman compatibility tables list a 1% NaOH solution as satisfactory
in epon-charcoal filled centerpieces, but not anodized aluminum.
Kristian Schilling from Nanolytics offers titanium 2-channel and
6-channel centerpieces that are chemically inert and resistant to most
alkali and acidic conditions and would be useful in these types of
experiments. If these peptides/proteins require high speeds for adequate
resolution, you also have to consider that epon-charcoal, while
chemically compatible, may not be compatible for the required speed. If
you are reading these samples at 280 nm, I would choose sapphire windows
for their durability and resistance properties. I agree with Dmitry that
the fill hole screws and the aluminum housing may present a problem,
especially if leakage occurs. Proper insulation with the polyethylene
gasket may help prevent any problems, but there are no guarantees.

Sincerely,

Virgil