[RASMB] pH stability

Dmitry Veprintsev dbv at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 25 01:16:47 PST 2007

Dear Yasuaki,
from my experience the copper screws welded to the aluminum cell case:
Aluminium easily dissolves in alkali.
Our workshop had to drill them out and re-tap the holes.
Quartz windows could also be etched by strong NaON but that wold not be
as fast.
You may have better luck with 6-sector cells.
regards, Dmitry

Yasuaki Hiromasa wrote:
> Dear RASMB members,
> I am working with peptide/protein at basic condition. I want to
> characterize it at pH10-12 or 1-10 mM NaOH. Can I apply under these
> condition to Analytical ultracentrifuge?  Will these base conditions
> hurt the cell assembly?
> We have aluminum and epon centerpieces. Windows are quartz and sapphire.
> We want to do velocity and equilibrium experiments.
> Has anybody experience at these conditions?
>
> Sincerely,
> Yasuaki HIromasa
> Department od Biochemistry
> Kansas State University