[RASMB] triton removal

EJ Longman Emma.Longman at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Oct 5 04:17:17 PDT 2006

Does anyone have any advice on removal of triton X100 from protein samples?
There seem to be a number of commercially available systems specifically
for triton removal (as dialysis and gel filtration are not effective).

I have purified two proteins (molecular weights of  30 & 40 kDa) with 0.1%
triton in the buffers. The triton is not necessary for the stability of the
proteins but improves the purity of the protein obtained. I would like to
remove it as its high absorbance will cause problems in my AUC experiments.

I am also interested to know whether detergent removal can be efficient
enough that afterwards the sample can be used for AUC without having to
worry about density matching?

Thanks,

Emma

EJ Longman