[RASMB] Model E photos

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Sep 16 08:13:42 PDT 2006

Thanks for sharing the pics, Mitra, they conjure up old memories..

Here is an interesting historical tidbit:

Did you know that the first draft of the Beckman User Manual for the
Model E was written by a german immigrant engineer working at the time
for Beckman Instruments? - I happen to have copy of it - here it is:

                        ACHTUNG!!!

Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben.  Ist easy
schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und corkenpoppen mit
spitzensparken.  Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Keepen
die hands in das pockets und nicht in das rotorchamber.  Relaxen und
vatch das blinkenlights!!!

...which after many revisions evolved into the classic line "Treat her like a woman..." :-)

Maybe someone could share the text of the final manual? I wished I had a copy,
Although the first draft was somewhat closer to reality, I think the final version
deserved the a prize for the most original instrument manual ever written.

-borries