[RASMB] more on systematic differences

Jack Kornblatt krnbltt at alcor.concordia.ca
Wed Sep 6 08:52:24 PDT 2006

A follow up on "systematic differences"
There were two questions:
1.  If there are three cells in the AUC during a sedimentation velocity
run, one cell yields an s value that I arbitrarily set at 100, cell 2
yields a value of 99.4 and cell 3 a value of 99.7. What are possible
causes of the differences?
2.  The meniscus of cell one if always found at shorter radius than the
meniscus of cell 2.  Cell 3 is intermediate between the other two.  What
are possible causes?

Thanks to John, Andrew and Tom for their most recent comments.
One of John's struck me as being especially insightful:

If you (me, in this case) have found that the three cells do not yield
the same s values in a velocity run, and if you apply correction factors
to two of them so as to get them to agree with the third, how do you
know which is the correct one to use as a the reference value?
The answer: You do not know which is the correct value.  If I understand
correctly, to have knowledge of the s value to a precision of  0.1%, you
would have to have experimentally determined diffusion coefficients (to
better than 0.1% precision) as well as rho and vbar values to much
better than 0.1%; mass spectroscopy now gives us molecular masses to
high precision. Correction factors of less than 1% are useful in that
they allow me to judge the sedimentation in one cell relative to the
others.  Correction factors permit one to level the playing field but
one doesn't know whether the game being played is football in San
Francisco or cricket in Nairobi.
Like biologists all over, I had hoped for absolute knowledge when I
started working with the AUC but ........

There seems to be general agreement that the differences between cells
are probably the result of differences in the center pieces:
I can easily check for leaks.

NB. If I run one chamber empty, one full at 40 KRPM, am I likely to
deform the center piece?

As for the other ideas as why the cells might differ as much as they do,
they are all useful.  If the differences between cells were larger than
it is, it would be worthwhile delving more deeply. The major unanswered
question is why the s values differ.  Here you three all seem to agree
that it might result from convection or from a leak.  I'll check the
archives for how to detect convection problems and will get back to you
about leaks when I have the data.  (Hopefully < 1 year)
thanks again
jack