[RASMB] vbar

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Tue Jun 6 12:15:24 PDT 2006

Hi Chad,
if the oligomer is relatively pure, would it be possible to do
DLS?  Perhaps taken together with s, that would give another quick way of
confirming M, instead of equilibrium sedimentation.  I don't think enclosed
solvent adds to the buoyant molar mass, therefore it would not contribute
an error to the vbar.  However, due to error propagation from vbar to the
(1-vbar*rho) term, small errors in vbar are amplified; my feeling is that
this usually could account for a few percent uncertainty (i.e. in the
ballpark of 1/24).
Peter