[RASMB] combining DLS and sedimentation equilibrium to get molecular shape

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Wed Mar 15 08:17:38 PST 2006

Hi Dave,

In theory I think this should work, but in practice I believe the validity
of this will depend on how mono-disperse your sample is.  It is quite
possible, if contaminations by small Mw species are not resolved in
sedimentation equilibrium, that the molar mass estimate could be too
low.  On the other hand, small impurities would go undetected by DLS, but
DLS would be highly sensitive to larger Mw impurities (which may not be
detected by sedimentation equilibrium if they sediment very close to the
bottom of the solution column).  Taken together, I think the danger is that
the frictional ratio values would tend to be overestimated.

One can use SEDPHAT to globally model SE and DLS and see if both jointly
are consistent with a single species model. (In fact, you can directly
model s-values and molecular weights for one or more species globally to
the autocorrelation functions and the SE profiles.)

I appreciate you have already done the experiments, and obviously there's
not enough material to redo.  But on the experimental side, it sometimes is
a good idea to shake up a SE column and rerun it as a short-column
SV.  That would give at least some additional information.  Alternatively,
the following has worked very well for me:  After achieving SE, I carefully
stopped the rotor and took the cells out preventing mixing of the solution
column as much as possible.  (When working with proteins that absorb in the
VIS, it is apparent that you can take the cells out of the rotor without
completely remixing the solution).  Then, I was drawing the DLS sample with
a syringe from the middle of the SE solution column.  That, at least, give
a sample for DLS that is free of larger contaminants (and it beats
filtering or spinning it down quickly to get rid of dust).

Best,
Peter