[RASMB] combining DLS and sedimentation equilibrium to get molecular shape

David Lee dave.lee at tufts.edu
Wed Mar 15 07:22:09 PST 2006

Dear colleagues,
I am writing to enquire about the validity and pitfalls of modeling
hydrodynamic shape by combining sedimentation equilibrium data with
dynamic light scattering data.  I didn't have enough protein for
sedimentation velocity experiments so after performing sedimentation
equilibrium experiments, whcih showed the complex to behave as a
single ideal species, I measured the hydrodynamic radius by dynamic
light scattering, then calculated the frictional coefficient f.  I
combined this number with the molecular weight obtained from the
equilibrium experiment to  calculate s* which I entered along with
the other data into SEDNTERP  to model the dimensions of the protein
as a prolate ellipse.  Is this a valid way of  doing hydrodynamic
modeling?  I'm worried that I'm overlooking something.  Thanks in
advance for your input on this matter.

Sincerely,
Dave