AW: [RASMB] 6-channel centerpieces

Claus Urbanke urbanke.claus at mh-hannover.de
Tue Dec 13 06:58:25 PST 2005

Hi Mircea,

We do simlar what you describe routinely although we have the special
housings available.  The differences are:

We use old single sector housings (using ds ones should work as well)
We tighten the cell with the lower window, the centerpiece with the flat
side pointing upwards and finally a spacer for 3 mm centerpieces instead of
the upper window to 100 inchpounds, then use a filling hole screw to set the
tightened centerpiece (you may need only one of them) and then loosen the
setup again to remove the 3mm centerpiece spacer.
After filling, we put in the upper window, gasket and everything to complete
the cell. Tighten to 100 Inchpounds again, remove the set screw from the
filling hole and then tighten the cell to the desired torque (usually 130).

We found it important to fix the 6Ch centerpiece with the filling hole
screw. Sometimes you have to work a bit to get the spacer out again and that
would move the centerpiece.

Why do we not use the special centerpieces? Very simple, we use the old
Beckman ModelE torque stand. An another reason, our special equilibrium
centerpieces ruined some of our window holders with the steel liners wearing
off aluminum from the window holder.

Good luck

Claus

Claus Urbanke