[RASMB] torque strength with Al centerpieces

John Correia jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu
Thu Nov 17 09:40:57 PST 2005

A rather fundamental aspect of torquing a cell assembly that appears to be overlooked or not learned by new users is the fact that you must tighten & release, tighten and release at least three times.  The ring slips for the 1st 2-3 torques and thus you do not obtain the target lbs until you stop slipping.  This alone may help to prevent cell leakage.

 Dr. John J. "Jack" Correia
 Department of Biochemistry
 University of Mississippi Medical Center
 2500 North State Street
 Jackson, MS  39216
 (601) 984-1522
 fax (601) 984-1501
 email address: jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu
 homepage location: http://biochemistry.umc.edu/correia.html
 dept homepage location:    http://biochemistry.umc.edu/

>>> "Karen Fleming" <Karen.Fleming at jhu.edu> 11/16/05 9:34 AM >>>

We have a user here who is having leakage problems with some Aluminum
2-sector centerpieces. We're using sapphire windows, so has anyone had
any experience torquing these cells to 130 or 140? Would this damage
the centerpieces? I know that charcoal-epon centerpieces can be torqued
higher, but they are not an option for this experiment at the moment.
-Karen F.
Karen G. Fleming, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Thomas C. Jenkins Department of Biophysics
Johns Hopkins University
3400 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218

Voice: 410-516-7256