Fwd: Re: [RASMB] peak in sedimentation velocity scans at high protein conc.

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Fri Oct 28 17:02:15 PDT 2005

Hi Everybody,

I agree with everything said, but since there seems to be a developing
general interest in this topic, I'd like to add one observation we made
repeatedly with the interference optics.

First - and this is certainly not new - one can easily visualize the
lensing effect of the boundary.  I am attaching a powerpoint slide showing
the camera image from a run with several mg/ml thyroglobulin at 50000
rpm.  There's an obvious lack of light intensity in the boundary when using
the 12 mm centerpiece, which is absent from the image of the 3 mm
centerpiece in the same run, as John mentioned.  The lack of light
intensity is what causes the artificial peaks in the absorbance scans.

But the interesting point is that one can frequently still acquire fringe
shift data through the boundary - in fact even through the one shown in the
picture.  They do not exhibit an artificial peak, but they have different
problems.  At very high gradients, the scans seem to 'skip' fringes, i.e.
the algorithm to assign fringe shifts from neighboring points fails and
instead of an increase in fringe shift from one radial point to the next,
one may see even a slight decrease from one point to the next (I suspect
the XLI software simply can't deal with more than 0.5 fringes shift for
neighboring radial points).  As Jack mentioned, we've seen this a lot also
in CsCl gradients, and at this occasion I've built into SEDFIT some limited
capability to repair this problem afterwards in software (with an algorithm
assuming that the boundary and its derivatives are monotonic).  However,
there also seems to be a range of boundary steepness that is already
producing peaks in absorbance, but not yet exhibiting the fringe 'skipping'
in interference optics.  Of course, the fringe profiles from these steep
gradients can still be questioned with regard to their faithful
representation of the concentration gradient, which I doubt.

However, the absence of the artificial peak at least allows us to load the
data and conveniently determine an empirical s-value from the
midpoint.  Assuming that the distortion of the boundary shape is not
modifying the integral over the boundary in a time-dependent way, one might
even be able to get a fairly good precision on the weight-average s.

Best,
Peter