[Rasmb] Tween 80 effect on c(s)

Qin "Chin" Zou heat-capacity at indy.rr.com
Tue Sep 27 14:30:00 PDT 2005

Thank you all for your input. That did help clear out many of my thoughts.
First, to answer Tom's questions, I did not have chances to do the
experiments you suggested. And I try not to disturb my samples too much.
Peter and John suggested not including Tween in reference buffer. This may
be a good idea to make things more straightforward. Thanks. Also at 5mg/ml,
the fits were bad, which may indicate the non-ideality.
As far as the Tween 80 absorbance, I did scan the buffer from 290-230nm in
UV spec and there are some absorbance between 285-260nm and it then really
takes off at < 260nm. This is at Tween concentration of 0.02%.

Now I would like to further ask if it is possible to just look at the ratio
such as 280nm/250nm since for Tween this ratio could be quite small while
there are still enough signals for the protein. I would think to do this at
protein concentration around 1-2mg/ml (this protein has an extinction
coefficient of 0.55). Thanks.

Chin

  _____