[RASMB] breaking cells

John Burgner jburgner at purdue.edu
Thu Aug 25 10:58:01 PDT 2005

Allen,

I had a similar experience two years ago with a cell that had an Al filled
centerpiece in it. The centrifuge was running at 55000rpm and we were
collected scans at one minute intervals. After about 70 minutes, the one
sector emptied between consecutive  scans breaking the centerpiece and one
of the  sapphire windows.  Prior to that scan, the meniscus, which nearly
the same for both sectors,  had not varied for either sector. I have always
presumed that one of the windows cracked and allowed the sample to escape.
So, I think my message is that no matter how careful you are bad (and
expensive) things  can happen with high g loads.

John

John Burgner

Director, Biophysics Core

The Bindley Bioscience Center