[RASMB] SedVel60K centerpieces

pjgb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk pjgb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 04:31:01 PDT 2005

Dear RASMBers,

For what it is worth, we routinely use Beckman epon centrepieces at 60K for
velocity runs employing absorbance optics (and also, more recently since
purchasing an XLI, interference) and have experienced no problems to
suggest any trouble with light reflecting off the surfaces.
As Virgil has said, we also have had the septum break when there has been a
leak, but this is a reasonably rare event and we certainly think that on
balance, of accepting the cost of replacements occasionally, outweighs the
hassle of using gaskets with any metal centrepiece.

Jo

--On Wednesday, August 24, 2005 4:55 pm -0500 John Correia
<jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu> wrote:

> RASMBers
>
> To my knowledge I am the only person to report noisy scans with the
> SedVel60K centerpieces - we suspect a timing issue in the XLA that only
> manifests itself with the narrower sectors - its worse at low radius than
> high is the evidence for this - and in fact we are working on a delay
> calibration issue on my machine as I write this.  CAMIS is also replacing
> the centerpieces to be sure they are not a defective batch.  So rather
> than judge the centerpieces on apparently one report, how about some
> data.  How many labs successfully have used SEDVEL60K centerpieces? How
> many labs have experienced timing or noise issues with the SEDVEL60K
> centerpieces?
>  Dr. John J. "Jack" Correia
>  Department of Biochemistry
>  University of Mississippi Medical Center
>  2500 North State Street
>  Jackson, MS  39216
>  (601) 984-1522
>  fax (601) 984-1501