[RASMB] lamp intensity drop

Dror Noy dror.noy at weizmann.ac.il
Tue Jun 28 04:36:00 PDT 2005

Hi all,
We encounter a very annoying behavior in our XLA and I'd like to check
with the forum if this is a specific or general problem.
After running many scans the UV intensity of the flash lamp is reduced
dramatically. This is caused by some kind of chemical reaction at the
lamp surface that makes a brownish hallow that absorbs UV. It is a
known phenomenon and Beckman recommends cleaning the lamp surface with
tooth paste abnd tooth brush. It really works. Our problem is that it
happens too frequently on our machine. My recent observation is that it
took about 750 radial scans (6.0 to 7.2 cm at 0.003 cm step) to
decrease the intensity at 230 nm by half. Does this look like a
"normal" half-life?
Thanks,
Dror
Dror Noy, Ph.D.