[RASMB] Multi-wavelength velocity

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Mon Jun 13 11:27:01 PDT 2005

Hi Andrew,

yes, that would be nice, in particular for sedimentation
equilibrium.  However, it would not solve the problem completely because of
the need to repeatedly scan each cell at each wavelength, either for
multiple rotor speeds in sedimentation equilibrium, or to repeatedly
observe the migration at each wavelength.  Essentially, in this case the
shifts in wavelength for all cells would be in sync, but not necessarily
absent.

Fortunately, at least with our centrifuges we have not seen that to be too
much of a problem, as long as you can stick with wavelengths that are on a
minimum or maximum of the extinction profile, since there a few nm movement
doesn't matter too much.  Also, we've had good success using 230 nm, and I
believe that this is due to the fact that we have a relatively sharp
emission line in combination with a wide monochomator bandwidth, for which
also the choice of particular nominal wavelength may not affect too much
the amount of light going through, as long as the major line is still
within the window.  [That means the nominal wavelength may not necessarily
be the wavelength of most of the light... and consequently the wavelength
of light that we're really observing the absorption of ... ]  We've
certainly got bad results when using 235 nm in the context of a
multi-wavelength experiment !  (But can be OK in combination of 235 nm
(only wavelength) and interference signal).

In the paper
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15613487&query_hl=1
we've described that somewhat, but due to space restrictions not in too
much detail.  There is one example of data collected at 280 nm, 250 nm, and
interference, and the global analysis of it.  In some of the scans, the
wavelength was changed by 1 nm.  What could not be shown are the residuals
of the fit, which look great and give confidence that the scans are OK.

In any case, we've used that multi-wavelength approach on 4 of our
centrifuges, with reasonably good result on all.  I should say that in most
cases on our machines, I don't see the wavelength move by more than 1
nm.  Also, there is another caution - when using FITC or rhodamine labeled
proteins, I've observed that the apparent peak wavelength is different on
different centrifuges, pointing to imperfections in the wavelength
calibration.  Therefore, we usually take a wavelength scan of the material
in the particular centrifuge that is being used later in sedimentation
velocity, and figure out which wavelength setting will bring us to the
middle of the peak.

Also, in sedimentation equilibrium analysis we don't see a sign that there
is a problem with that, again, using the precautions for wavelength
selection indicated above.

Again, I don't know if that's generally true or just for our machines,
which apparently shift no more than 1 nm during a run.

Best,
Peter